Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Dog Bread House aka The Gingerbread House




I've been reading on all my friends blogs about their gingerbread houses so I thought it would be fun to do one with the kids. I hadn't exactly decided how, but I knew I wanted to do one. Just to my luck I was at Costco the other day and found the entire kit for $10. It included the premade gingerbread forms for a house, a tree, and 2 gingerbread men. It had all of the frosting and tons of different kinds of candy. I couldn't believe my good fortune. So yesterday afternoon when the kids started getting grumpy and restless I pulled out the kit. Sari decided she wasn't interested in building the house at all but Tyler and Ashlie had a blast. Sari has decided she is too big for many holiday activities this year :( So, Tyler, Ashlie, and I all sat down at the table and began. I did the "gluing" together with frosting of the basic pieces and then gave it over to them for the decorating. They had so much fun. The only thing I really didn't understand was why Tyler kept calling it a "Dog Bread House". He said it several times and I just had no clue. I kept correcting him and he would say it the right way and then the very next sentence he would refer to it as a Dog Bread House again. Finally, I figured it out. Our dog's name is Ginger. So he had thought of it in reference to the dog. So he turned Ginger Bread House into Dog Bread House. Funny!!! We had a very fun time making it and Sari spared no eagerness when it was time to begin eating it :)

1 comment:

Jenny and Chris Dixon said...

very cute house and I like the dog bread house story. It made me smile.