Monday, January 11, 2010

Wedding Rings & Garbage Disposals

I am a little slow in my blogging these days but I am going to attempt to get us all caught up! Of course my cake blog is completely current :)

The beginning of October I was working on a cake that required fondant (a rolled dough that is frosting). When I am working with my fondant I always take my rings off otherwise I get fondant in all of the little grooves and it is a pain to try to clean. I had taken my ring off and laid it up on the counter. After I was done with the cake I was cleaning up the kitchen. I was standing in front of the sink with the garbage disposal on remembered I hadn't put my ring back on yet. I grabbed my ring and went to put it on my finger, but my hands were all wet and it just slipped right out of my hand and went straight down the disposal! AHHHHH!!!! I screamed and cried, then cried and screamed! I had the disposal turned off within just a couple of seconds. I stuck my hand down the drain and felt around and much to my delight I felt my ring. I pulled it up full of hope and then saw my ring. Despair set in! My ring was a mess! I have 3 bands all sautered together and they were each all bent in different directions. I was missing two of the smaller diamonds and the whole band was all cut up and scratched! Craig was working and I didn't have the heart to call him and tell him. So I sat there just looking at my ring all afternoon, crying!

Luckily when we purchased each of the pieces of my ring we also purchased the lifetime warranty. I read it thoroughly and the only catch I could find was "Under normal wear & tear". I don't think garbage disposals are included under normal wear and tear. Still I had to hope so off I went to the jewelry store. These are pictures of my ring the day I handed it over. Kind of blurry but I think you can still tell how badly the ring was damaged. Everyone working at the jewelry store had to come look at it because they had never seen a ring so badly damaged.



After a couple of false alarms and several phone calls, I was able to pick my ring up almost 3 months later. I was simply amazed! It looked like a brand new ring! I was so sad though because when I went to get it, I put it on and it fell right off my finger, it was too big! So I had to send it back in for another 2 weeks to have it resized!

Alas, I have my ring back and it has hardly left my finger. I was decided though that when I am taking it off I will put it upstairs on my ring holder and not try to put it on over sinks or other areas that could cause damaged! Here are the after pictures :)

No comments: